The membership was divided into committees to go out and get bids on the construction or furnishings for the various parts of the building. No money was spent unless approved by the whole membership of the Club in a regular or special meeting. In this way all the members had a part to play in the design and furnishing and everyone knew what was going on. With appropriate ceremonies under the direction of Commodore William D. Allen the clubhouse was dedicated July 4, 1904. The clubhouse was enlarged in 1894 by adding a front that extended to the street and two bowling alleys. This work was done under the direction of George E. Leighton who was then the Treasurer.
While Gibbons was thus busy with public and private affairs at home, in 1644, D’ Aulnay returned to St. John and besieged the fort there while LaTour was away. LaTour, it should be explained, was a Protestant and with Catholics in favor in France, he was practically outside the protection of the Crown of France. Anyway, led by LaTour’s heroic wife, St. John put up a stubborn defense but D’ Aulnay carried the place by assault. While Alcoholism D’ Aulnay lost but 12 men, he butchered every man, English or French, that he captured. Lady LaTour was shamefully treated, together with her children — one of the blackest events in the despicable history of religious war. LaTour apparently had no wish to attack the town but instead sought help to attack Sieur D’ Aulnay, who was blockading LaTour’s city of St. John, New Brunswick, in an attempt to oust LaTour from possession.
Moreover, increasing automobile travel and increasing population spelled an increasing number of accidents. There was also an increasing tendency to utilize hospitals for childbirth.
the spirits and also to recite such matter of history or legend as was appropriate to the particular circumstances. Upon this “information” the Indians commonly based their decisions — unless a great orator arose in opposition and swayed them with his tide of fluent ideas and images. Indian medicine men should not be dismissed with contempt as magicians. They were that — but they were also priests, doctors, teachers, historians and wise counsellors. His duty was to preserve the traditions and the myths of his group. Of course Indians did not have any means of recording such things. Picture writing is well enough for elementary statements but it cannot replace the printed word.
East Boston Sober Living
A new cataloging system was installed in 1888 and that same year Congressman Henry Cabot Lodge of Nahant made a gift of books which was cherished for years. In 1889, the library reported it had 2,200 books upon its shelves. He died October 23, 1886, before the fountain could be erected, so the work was postponed for another year. The next spring a foundation of granite blocks was erected and the fountain opened for use in May of 1887. The residents of the town, who remember the vanished fountain with some nostalgia, considered that it lent a very “artistic appearance” to the neighborhood. when the bell was rung for the first time for worship rather than work. The first summer service was held June 9, 1889, with the Reverend Frederick McFee preaching to 72 parishioners.
He seems to have become dissatisfied with Boston for in 1638 he moved out to the new town of Braintree and from there went on to the still newer town of Rehoboth, while in 1649, he became the first settler of the town of Stoughton, Connecticut. a single shot often supplied food enough in the form of a deer, for days, weather permitting its preservation that long, a man’s life often depended upon his musket firing on the instant when needed. Sword and dagger were secondary weapons, already reduced to hardly more than traditional value. It was the musket which gave the settler his advantage over the Indian — that and his ability to fight under military discipline. One of Cheseborough’s Irish bondsman’s jobs was to keep his master’s weapons bright — for when men depend upon weapons for food and even for life itself they must be sharp and weIl polished and oiled.
The first petition from the Pan Handle was made in 1735 but the wishes of the residents there did not prevail until 1841. That census showed a population of 156, of which number 142 were descendants Alcohol detoxification of James Bill, although not of his name. There were 31 families, some of which were then not Floyds, Belchers or Tewksburys but the three families accounted for 29 of the 31 families.
Captain Pierce invested some of his profits from the trip down in a number of negro slaves which some British sea captain had imported into the Tortugas. These negroes were put on the market at Boston-a perfectly legal business, then-and all the slaves were purchased. One was near the site of the Center railroad station, a bog filled with reeds, cat-tails, frogs, snakes and the like and made gay in summer by numbers of red-winged blackbirds.
Streetcars In East Boston
Real estate transactions were almost nil, being simply the recording of titles upon the death of elder people who bequeathed their property to their children variously. And this condition continued to be dominant into the 19th century too. This is evident in the census taken at Pullen Point in 1840, nearly two centuries after James Bill came to Winthrop.
June of that year was the effective date for a law providing pensions for school employees other than teachers . In the national celebration of the Bicentennial of George Washington, Superintendent Clarke served as statewide chairman for schools, and Winthrop made Washington’s career the basis for many of the year’s studies and assemblies. The high school eliminated post-graduate students, except those needing college preparatory work. The evening school, previously https://soberhome.net/ attracting many unemployed, was discontinued for lack of funds. The Winthrop Teachers Association produced a play that earned $333.00 for unemployment relief. In the tradition of making school facilities of widest use for desirable community activities, Boy and Girl Scouts used the buildings after class hours for meetings. Community organizations and individuals established graduation prizes for citizenship and specific excellences in junior and senior high schools.
When the Great Allottments were made the Island was mentioned several times but no exact records have been found. In 1687, Judge Samuel Sewall owned the Island and his tenant farmer was Jeremiah Belcher, founder of the Belcher name in Winthrop. For many years the Island was owned by members of the Breed family who farmed it somewhat extensively. In 1670, the Island was acquired by Colonel Samuel Shrimpton, who owned a great deal of real estate in Boston and was probably the wealthiest Bostonian of his day. He was a stout personage and once worsted the tyranical royal governor Andros, in a legal battle. During the Revolution there was considerable military activity on the Island.
The coming of the Tewksburys to the Bill House and of the Floyds from Rumney Marsh to the Deane Winthrop House has been described. The Belchers came into town when Joseph Belcher married Hannah BiIl. His home became known as the “Parliament” because it was a frequent meeting place for the Bills, Tewksburys and the Floyds to talk over political matters. Belcher, who had the title of “Ensign” from his active service in the French and Indian wars, was an older man than most of his contemporaries and far more widely experienced, having traveled far. property again for the Winthrop Improvement and Historical Association as a permanent historical monument. The Association at first leased the property but eventually was able to purchase it outright.
Sober House Directory
The regular evening school reopened in 1947 and in 1948 was greatly expanded as the Winthrop Center for Adult Education. Headed by Arthur W. Dalrymple, the Center has followed a policy of growth and flexibility. To meet the trend to recreational education, it has offered at least two dozen courses to an enrollment in excess of 300. A very flexible evening school for veterans was opened in January of 1946, enrolling as many as 70 in a dozen subject courses.
First and Second Readers have been elected every three years since the formation of this democratically governed church. In 1939, the first Inter-Faith movement was held in the Community Center to which the entire clergy of the town and all the parishes were invited. The Inter-Faith movement is now an important factor in cementing good will and brotherhood in the Town of Winthrop. With the coming of Rev. H. Leon Masovetsky to Winthrop, July 1, 1927, a new chapter of activity opened in the Jewish Community.
THERE is no mention in the early records of constables or police, or any police action. The first entry of any police action is made in the report of 1856, which shows an expenditure of $1.25 to transport a prisoner to Boston, showing there must have been a crime and an arrest. In the next few years there is no mention in the town reports of any police or even constables; Alcohol dependence the report of 1859 shows that $6.25 was spent for the purchase of five pairs of handcuffs. Again, in 1864, the report shows that $5.22 was spent for six constables’ badges. THE Beachmont and Winthrop Visitor and Revere Beach Chronicle commenced publication on Saturday, May 27th, 1882. H. Hartley started to publish it as a year-round, weekly newspaper.